Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The American Lifestyle and what you can do…


The Standard American lifestyle has become so busy and hectic that food and nutrition is often not a first priority.  We have to eat and eating is something we want to sandwich in really quickly between activities in our lives.  Until we get sick or overweight, we don't think of changing our food.  And even then, most people rely on prescription medications to control their symptoms and keep eating how they've been eating.


What many people do not realize, is that what we put into our bodies is TRULY important!  Think of it this way, "toxic in, toxic out". If your food is toxic (unhealthy, processed, and devoid of nutrients), your life has the potential to be toxic. What we put into our bodies, if consistently unhealthy and processed, may eventually manifest itself as an illness. If our bodies do not go there, they are likely to go to decreased immunity, pain, and/or loss of energy. The environment inside our bodies matters.  What we put into our bodies matters. If we are suffering, it could be because our diet is suffering.


It can be an overwhelming task to change our diets.  I suggest focusing on "crowding out".  Instead of taking away everything that we are eating, just slowly start adding some healthy foods.  Adding some greens is a great way to start (spinach, kale, collard greens, watercress, etc.)  Greens are the most nutrient dense food and there are so many things you can do with them.  Something simple will do - a green smoothie or a salad with a yummy dressing.  Don't worry about giving up your chocolate, just start drinking green smoothies in the morning.  Eventually, you will find yourself wanting less and less of the junk and more and more of the food that is making your body feel healthy and energetic.  Until I focused on this principle of crowding out, I never completely succeeded.  I struggled to change my diet and, more so, maintain the healthy diet.  I had to "white knuckle" it and try SO hard to not give in to cravings.  When I finally gave myself permission to focus on adding in the good instead of taking out the bad, wow, it was a miracle!  I was eventually able to rid myself of all my cravings.  Now I crave my green smoothie and salads.

Do yourself a favor and add one healthy food to your repertoire today!

Amy

Amy is amazing.  She is a wife, mother and friend.  After graduate school and having children, she attended the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.

She is extremely knowledgeable and through the course of many years has taken on food.  You can read more by clicking on the button, Whole Foods, Whole Life on the right.

2 comments:

Trapper and Suzy said...

That's really great, Katie! I'm not sure I could stomach the green smoothies, but Trapper and the boys love them. And that makes me feel good. haha However, if I can't see them or taste them, then I'll eat as much green as you can give me, and that's why I've started cooking from the "Deceptively Delicious" book. That's my excuse.

Luke and Katie said...

I have been trying all night to leave a comment, but blogger has been ridiculous!
Anyway, I wanted to let you know that Amy wrote this post and I am so glad that she did because afterwards I went and made myself a GREEN SMOOTHIE! Yum!
I am glad that you are eating more veggies!! hehe, every little bit counts!