Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lemon Bars

Why did no one tell me how easy making Lemon Bars was? Seriously. Spencer and I made these for the missionaries and they were good. One thing to note though, was that when you press the bottom in to the pan, make sure it is even. I didn't do a very good job, so half of my lemon bars were, well, lemon bars and the other half were more like Lemon Cake. To be honest, I liked the Lemon Cake side better. YUM. Not too much lemon for Luke. win. win.

Here are the goods:


2 c. flour
1 c. margarine
½ c. powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
Mix the above ingredients with a pastry blender til crumbly, then press into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until slightly brown.


4 eggs
1½ c. sugar
¼ c. flour
Juice of 2 lemons (or about 6 Tbsp. lemon juice)
½ tsp. baking powder
a little lemon rind


Mix and pour over pre-baked crust. Bake 20 minutes at 350*. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.

*Next time I am going to be more creative and cut down on the 2nd half of the recipe and see if they turn our like last night...more cake-like. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Post edit: I cut the topping down to half. It was really good, but it was too pastry-like. I liked it, but I also like crust. Stick with the regular recipe.

No comments: