Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pinned it. Tried it.

Southwestern Chicken Pile-up

Pinned Image
via

If you want a meal that is extremely easy, healthy AND tastes good..try this!  I have made this a few times and each time the family gobbles them up.  (I am able to adapt what goes on for my stubborn #2).  I have included the original recipe link (click via above), but I have made my own personal changes below!

Ingredients:

1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt-free Southwest seasoning
1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 boneless,
skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
6-8 whole-wheat pita (6 1/2" diameter) OR the new sandwich thins split in half

Red-pepper flavor hummus (I use about 1/2 package and spread enough to top the pita)
2 tablespoons no-salt-added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
Red onion strips
Red bell pepper strips
Chopped tomato
Shredded Cheese

Opt:
4 teaspoons guacamole or fat-free sour cream (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

My chicken is usually frozen, so I usually boil it and then either take out and shred or else grill it a few minutes to get all the pink out.
Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder evenly over the chicken.
Meanwhile, place the pita on the grill rack. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted. Place the pita on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread evenly with the hummus. Top evenly in layers with the beans, the reserved chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato,  and cheese.

Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 4 wedges. Top each wedge with a teaspoon of guacamole or sour cream, if desired.

No comments: