Thursday, August 11, 2011

Part 3: PPE, PPB and PPD

The nurse started me on Zoloft soon after #3 was born. She had wanted me to take it a few weeks prior to delivery, to get it in my system, but the doctor wasn’t on the same page (needless to say, I call and talk to HER directly now)
Here were are: 2011. I am still on the medicine. I have gone between 75mg and 100 mg (bad days) to where I am now at 50mg.

I started a “way of life,” aka diet, in mid-March and by April I was feeling pretty good. I started to wean myself and that was a HUGE no-no. I called the nurse and she said where my body was still getting used to the food in-take and supplements, that I shouldn’t try and get off completely. It could do more harm than good.

Some advice she did throw my way: you can alter your dose. I could go from 50mg to 25mg when I was feeling good and back up if I wasn’t. I was a little weary, but she said that is a good way to know if and when my body was ready to completely wean from it. I won’t lie, I’m a bit nervous that I won’t be able to get off of it 100%.It’s a constant thought every night that I take it. BUT I know, that there is a very HIGH probability that, without it, there could have been some major problems.


All-in-all? Depression is a very real thing. You can’t will yourself to get better. There are other treatments besides medication. I strongly recommend prayer. It got me through the majority of the days and nights, BUT Heavenly Father has also placed modern medicine on the earth so that we can use it. Don’t be embarrassed.

Here are some symptoms:
Sadness
Hopelessness
Low self-esteem
Guilt
A feeling of being overwhelmed
Sleep and eating disturbances
Inability to be comforted
Exhaustion
Emptiness
Anhedonia
Social withdrawal
Low or no energy
Becoming easily frustrated
Feeling inadequate in taking care of the baby
Impaired speech and writing
Spells of anger towards others
Increased anxiety or panic attacks
Decreased sex drive


**Obviously TALK to your dr. before you change your dose. I am NOT a dr.

No comments: